Here are the qualifications to become a Nawakwa Keyholder. The information is presented below as a convenient way to see what’s involved in becoming a Keyholder.
The qualifying activities to be completed in a 12 month period are as follows:
- You will need to select two Sponsors. A Sponsor is a current Nawakwan who has been a Key-holder for at least one year and who agrees to help you learn about camp and the responsibilities of membership. During the qualifying period, Applicants are encouraged to interact with and meet as wide a range of Nawakwa members as possible, and from these interactions obtain your Sponsors. Applicants must meet three times with either or both of their Sponsors who will provide them with a proper orientation to Camp Nawakwa, its procedures, and its traditions.
- Plan to attend an orientation of camp procedures. A schedule of orientations will be listed on the adkny.org website under Calendar/Events. Unless scheduled differently, orientations will begin at 9:00 AM on Saturday mornings, and will last approximately 3 hours. After the orientation, be sure to ask a Keyholder conducting the orientation to sign your Signature Form.
- In addition to the three meetings with your Sponsors, the following are required Qualifying Events:
- Applicants need to take part in two official hikes. An official hike is one that is published in the Trail Marker or posted on the website and designated as ‘Qualifying.” Registration with the hike leader is required. Co-ordination with the Hosting Committee (contact information is in the Trail Marker) is required for the co-hosting event.
- Applicants need to take part in two official Hosted Weekends. These weekends are posted on the website or in the Trail Marker. Everyone must register for these weekends with the Host.
- Applicants need to take part in one Service Project, either the Spring or Fall Work Weekend, or an official Trail Clearing or work project (as announced on the website or in the Trail Marker). Everyone needs to register for these events.
[Note: An Applicant can receive credit for only one qualifying event per weekend. Also, there must be at least three different signatures obtained for the qualifying events, and a Sponsor can only certify one such event.]